Favorites from the MET


This past Labor DAY weekend I took a trip to New York again to visit my lovely friend Y. However, firs things first- I still need to share the beautiful photos I took at the MET when I was there two weeks ago! My post schedule is self-imposed, but I'm definitely falling rather behind on everything I've been doing, loving, and buying! Seems like being on vacation got me rather off track, especially in the time management department, but my goal is to get my daily routine back under control soon! 

So without further ado, here are some bits and bobs at the MET that caught my eye when I was last there viewing the Heavenly Bodies exhibit!






First up is this Faberge display! Not even in a room of its own, this lovely display was just sitting out in a walkway near some elevators if I remember correctly. A very nice arrangment to admire while waiting! I really admire the craftsmanship of Faberge; when I was younger I spent some time watching documentaries and reading about the relationship between Faberge and the doomed Russian Imperial family. It always makes me feel a little wistful to think of it, but at the same time I'm glad that their royal patronage allowed art like this to flourish.








Next up art some lovely small sculptures- I especially like the one of the mother and child! These are fairly small pieces, between 7-12" tall, so the amount of detail and expression was really surprising. I could've spent much much longer studying them because they were so perfectly sculpted and quite beautiful in person, but alas all I had time to do was take quick shots of my favorites and move on!









What would a museum be without paintings? Of course there were so so many others I saw and liked, but this is a selection of the ones I found particularly charming. I really liked the furniture too, and the fully furnished rooms (which alas I didn't photograph) because they really give me the sense of what it would have been to walk around a fine home with furnishing and art of this type. It definitely leaves an impression!



The atrium is one of my favorite parts of the museum, as all the natural like makes it feel like you're outside! I love the beautiful building facade, the statuary, the entire space really. To the left, just out of shot, is the cafe where you stop for a snack or meal and rest awhile before continuing your exploration. It's a very pleasant experience eating there, if a bit crowded.





These are some of my favorite decorative elements of the atrium, particularly the young man immortalized in marble. So handsome! The large Tiffany window is rather breathtaking as well; given the opportunity one could spend a good long while lost in the colors. 



And to wrap this post up, here's what I got from the MET giftshop! A pair of earrings and a matching choker. I took a look through the Heavenly Bodies coffee table book but I found it rather disappointing as the clothing was photographed in an odd semi-artsy way that didn't really show much detail or color. Honestly, I felt that my own crowded, sometimes blurry, poorly lit and definitely amateur photos did the exhibit more justice than the official coffee table book! So I searched for something else that would kind of tie in with the theme of the exhibit and remind me of the wonderful day I had. These pieces were perfect; sterling silver plated with gold, very well made and not exorbitantly expensive. And so cute! 



Comments

Popular Posts