Light and Fresh for Spring


I don't need any more makeup... however, as my slightly guilty face suggests, I did buy some new cosmetics this weekend. I was in CVS and I saw some Maybelline products that I just couldn't help but add to my shopping cart: the Instant Age Rewind Dark Circles concealer and the Instant Age Rewind Eraser foundation. The concealer in particular has what I feel is a cult-following on Youtube. I can't say how many makeup tutorials I've watched that have included this concealer, but it's very popular. I've always wanted to try it but somehow never seemed to find it in stock. So when I saw it a few days ago, it was too tempting to resist. I also picked up the Instant Age Rewind foundation because in for a penny, in for a pound!


The Maybelline website says that the Instant Age Rewind Eraser foundation is a "super concentrated anti-aging foundation infused with goji berry and collagen to tighten and improve skin elasticity." I've only used it twice now, but I have to say it does feel really nice to apply! You click the bottle to push the product through the top, and then dab it on your face. I used my fingers to blend it into by skin, and it felt really pleasant and lightweight. I'm not surprised that it's a skincare infused foundation as it felt less thick and more moisturizing than what I'm used to. In my opinion the coverage is pretty sheer but I think that's perfect for summer and warm weather in general when you don't want a lot of heavy makeup sitting on your skin but you're still looking for a little something to perfect the skin and even out any redness. This product comes in 12 shades and I chose the lightest (Creamy Ivory). I'm not 100% sure if this color is light enough/has the right undertones for me, but I like the foundation so much I'm willing to give it a try for a few days and see if it grows on me. Granted right now I'm still pretty pale from the winter and all the cold early spring weather that has had me mostly indoors, but I use sunscreen religiously so I tend not to chance color too much in the summer. I paid around $15 for it at CVS but Amazon prices it at $8.19 (or $7.78 if you do the subscribe and save option), so if I decide to become a regular user I'll probably be buying it at Amazon in the future!


The Instant Age Rewind Dark Circles concealer really reminds me of YSL's Touche Eclat. It's rather thin and watery, but this is a good thing because it doesn't deposit a heavy crease-prone layer of thick opaque concealer. Instead, it's a light and airy brightener. When I watch people on Youtube use this product they usually apply way more than I do and seem to get more opaque coverage, but personally I'm a fan of the "less is more" school of makeup so I tend to apply everything with a very light hand. Just like the foundation, you need to click the bottle to push up the product through the fuzzy applicator and then you apply it straight to your face. I dot it around my eyes and blend with my ring finger- I got the lightest shade I could (Fair) and it works great to lift and brighten my undereye area. I don't have very dark undereye circles but there is a shadow there, so this concealer applied with a light hand makes me really happy with the finished look! :) Again, I paid around $10 for this at CVS but found it on Amazon for $6.68 (or $6.36 with subscribe and save) which is not quite as dramatic a price difference as for the foundation but still a nice saving opportunity.


Since I was in the makeup aisle anyway, I also ended up getting the Revlon Prep, Set, Refresh mist. The directions say that this can be used under makeup as a primer and over makeup as a setting spray, as well as throughout the day to refresh makeup. I've used Urban Decay's All-Nighter Setting Spray before and I really liked how well it set my makeup and kept my face fairly matte, however it's a little pricey at $32 for 4 oz and I never repurchased it. The Revlon spray does a fairly good job of setting my makeup but I've noticed I do get a little more shiny as the day goes on when compared to my results from the Urban Decay spray. However, the shine isn't too bad and actually kind of nice if you're trying to achieve a more natural dewy look. I haven't used this spray yet as a primer, but I do like it as a setting spray. I also have to say that I really like the pump on it- the mist is fine and not shocking when it hits your face. I've had some iffy pumps on face sprays before so it was a pleasant surprise that it gave such a nice soft mist. I purchased it at CVS for about $15 and as with the two Maybelline items, Amazon sells it cheaper for $12.34 plus right now there's a $3.25 Amazon coupon you can clip for it which makes it even cheaper.

So that was my unexpected little CVS makeup haul. Generally I try to stay away from that aisle because I could spend hours there, but I'm pretty happy I had a browse!

** This post is not sponsored in any way. The Amazon links may earn me a small commission if you purchase, but there is absolutely no difference in the cost to you. The Maybelline and Sephora links are for informational purposes only and earn no commission.**



Comments

Popular Posts