Packing for a Little Weekend Trip!



I’m NYC bound! So excited to be getting ready for my first weekend trip by myself, while my husband and son stay home. It’s Memorial Day weekend so that means I get a “bonus” day, which is very nice. I’m a bit somewhat VERY nervous about it all as I’ve never been away from le petit prince like this before, but my husband is a wonderful (and very capable!) daddy so I know everything will be fine. I’ve also prepared a small assortment of small presents for my little chap, to ease the sting of the short separation.

Luckily I've had the task of figuring out what to pack as a welcome distraction from my nerves and feelings of guilt. This weekend forecast is a little odd- it’s supposed to be hot and sunny about half the time but then rainy (and possibly chilly?) the other half. I really wanted to pack as lightly as I could because there’s nothing more freeing than waltzing around on a mini-break unencumbered by multiple pieces of large, heavy, and often unwieldy luggage. For once in my life, I want to be one of those people who make travel seem effortless. (Also, packing light is not possible when traveling with a toddler so this is probably my only chance to be make this attempt!)


Here is what I’ve currently narrowed down my clothing selection to, although of course there may be last minute changes right before leaving home!

- Ann Taylor dark denim jeans
- Levi's light gray jeans
- Abercrombie and Fitch denim skirt
- nameless white tank top
- Abercrombie and Fitch very light 3/4 sleeve knit
- vintage cream pullover
- Ann Taylor grey cashmere lightweight knit
- Victoria’s Secret satin pajamas (in the pink satin pouch, to keep them nice and clean)


On the topic of shoes, I thought long and hard whether it would make sense to bring any sort of heels with me- in the end, I decided it would be pointless. I can wear heels in normal circumstances and even walk around comfortably for longish periods of time. But walking in New York is different- you walk fast, you walk for REALLY long periods of time, and generally you're just on your feet so so so much more than you think. Plus it's supposed to rain. So I decided to leave my cute heeled sandals at home and pack these pale gold loafers instead. I purchased them last weekend from TJ Maxx and I confess, I was specifically thinking about this trip when I went into the shoe section. I've been wearing them as much as possible this week and I feel like they've broken in quite well. The sole is well cushioned and the leather is soft and supple so I hope that they'll allow me to trek around to my heart's content without blisters or excessive soreness. I'm still packing bandaids though... just in case!



For toiletries,  I’ve tried to be ruthless and only bring the bare bones, because these suckers can really add to the weight!

- CVS brand super soft cotton pads 
- Garner micellar water
- Dove mini deodorant (so cute and tiny!!)
- Belief Aqua Bomb cream (great travel size)
- Skin Rescue Deep Cleanser
- Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner (exfoliation and toning in one)
- Biore Perfect Milk SPF 50
- not shown but also packed are my toothbrush and hairbrush, which are the ultimate necessities!


And then of course, my makeup selection. Arguably the hardest part of packing, because I want to bring all the makeup. But like skincare, it can really add up and get quite heavy so I tried to be as strict with myself as possible and contain it to just one makeup bag. Everything with an asterisk is either from a Sephora Play box or a free beauty sample. :)

- Too Faced Neutral eyes (the shimmer and matte one)
- Too Faced Eyeshadow Insurance*
- Nars Concealers (I had to have both, I could just do one!)
- Chanel Innocence blush
- Maybelline brown gel liner
- Revlon eyelash curler
- Tarte mascara*
- Charlotte Tilbury Pillowtalk lip liner
- TreStique cream highlighter stick*
- Maybelline instant age rewind concealer
- Maybelline Dream cushion foundation
- Laura Mercier travel size setting powder*
- Becca Champagne Pop highlighter*
- NYX Butter Gloss
- Revlon Kiss Balm in Coconut
- Sephora Brand cream blush stick (looks coral but blends out pretty rosy on my skin)
- Smashbox eyeshadow duo*


I've packed all my makeup, toiletries, makeup brushes, etc  in their own little bags (some of which are from Sephora Play Boxes!) which is a great way to organize when packing and also to keep things from turning into a jumbled mess when unpacking. 


For creature comforts I'm traveling with a blush pink and rose gold scarf ($20 from Macy's and I love it, such a good purchase!), my favorite sunglasses by Franco Sarto which I've been wearing every day since getting them, and a silk eyemask. I don't plan to nap while traveling but at night I love to sleep with an eye mask on. It's become like an off switch for my brain- as soon as the eye mask goes one, my whole body relaxes and I drift off super quickly without ruminating on the day's mistakes or to do lists.


For perfume I'm bring this cute little travel size Jo Malone cologne duo, containing Peony & Blush Suede and Basil & Neroli. Ever since discovering Jo Malone fragrances I can't get enough of them, and these two are lovely. The Peony & Blush Suede is floral but grownup and very romantic. The Basil & Neroli is quite fresh and perky, so no matter what my mood this weekend I'll be able to choose a scent to match. Jo Malone has TONS more fragrances but alas I have no counter nearby where I can smell them all so I'm at the mercy of whatever Jo Malone samples I can snag when making beauty purchases.



Although we all carry cell phones which make great time-keeping devices, I'll also be bringing my beloved Holland Heart Kate Spade watch. Since getting it I haven't worn any of my other watches. Can you blame me though? The rose gold, the hearts, the beautiful dial.... ahh, I'm still as in love with it as the day it arrived on my doorstep! 


I was really tempted to bring more than one purse but that's just not practical when trying to travel light. After much trying on and consulting the weather forecast and packing and unpacking various bags, in the end I settled on my Michael Kors daisy pink Bristol satchel. I love the nude/blush pink color and the white daisies and the rose gold hardware... it was just the loveliest Mother's Day gift ever. <3 I also have the larger size Bristol Satchel in Almond, which I considered bringing instead because it can fit more but still looks quite nice, but in the end I decided to go with the smaller (and more adorable) pink one. :) 

** This post is not sponsored in any way.**




Comments

Popular Posts