Busy Busy But Never Too Busy to Shop!


I feel like I've been rushed off my feet lately, doing things with my son (school is out for the summer!), getting my house clean and tidy for visitors (welcome lovely in-laws!), and preparing for the mega month long trip I'll be taking with my family next week (more on that to come, but yikes!) Still, no matter how packed my schedule or exhausted I am, I will never be too busy, stressed or tired to shop. If I don't want to shop, I'm probably dead or dying. It's so satisfying to discover a new product I really like or to score an excellent bargain on something I've been hunting for a long time. Plus I love opening packages!


I've been running low on my Dior Loose Powder for a while now, and  lately it's gotten to the point where it's actually difficult to reach/use what little is left. A while back I wrote a post about makeup I was interested in trying out, and the Guerlain Les Violettes pressed face powder was on my list. I've actually absentmindedly wanted to buy and try it for years now but somehow never got around to doing so. I do love my Dior loose powder that I've been using (despite the high price tag it's lasted me almost two years so I consider it good value for money), but with my upcoming travels it would definitely more convenient to pack a pressed powder rather than a loose one, so I decided it was finally time to order Les Violettes! While I was browsing the Nordstrom website, I noticed they were running a free gift with purchase promotion for Guerlain so of course I had to browse their other offerings and see what else might strike my fancy. Here's my little haul- Les Violettes Pressed Powder, Terracotta Bronzer, Rouge G in the color 62, and La Petite Robe Noir Lipcheek tint. 


Everyone needs a pressed powder...



The first item is the Les Violettes Evanescent Pressed Powder Compact, which was the whole point of this shopping session and therefore the thing I wanted to try first. I got it in the shade 02 Clair (which is the lightest), but since this powder only comes in 3 shades I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a translucent type of pressed powder that will match most skin tones rather than a product offering coverage that requires a proper color-match. The black plastic compact comes inside a little velvet pouch with a lovely black velvet puff inside. I am usually skeptical of sponges and puffs like this, but I tried it and I love it! The powder applies very naturally in a way that is mattifying and perfecting but not in a cakey fake looking way. For me this velvety finish lasts about 7 hours or so a little bit of dewiness starts to come through, but that's no problem because I can just whip out the compact and apply a little more with the puff! I've also had great results applying it with a powder brush, but when out and about the little puff is perfect for touch ups. This is an item I will not be returning because it's exactly what I need and I'm loving how it looks and performs. However, it does need to be noted that this is a scented product; as may be surmised from the name, it smells strongly of violets. I love the smell and I'm not at all sensitive to fragrances, but if you're someone who hates florals, violets, or strong perfumes, this powder may be a little too heavily scented for you.

Bronze Goddess



Next up is the Terracotta Light Powder in the color 00 Clair Rose. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with bronzers... I love how they look when applied to other people, and the whole sun-kissed-and-carefree image they evoke is so appealing. However, I tend to prefer a pale complexion on myself and I usually find bronzers too orangey for me. The Guerlain Terracotta line has a great reputation however, so I picked up this bronzer in the Clair Rose shade which is quite light. It's mixed in with a little pink as you can see here so I was hoping that would translate to a subtle pink-toned warmth that would suit me. I've been wearing it for the past few days but I'm still not sure how I feel about it. It applies and blends beautifully, with not streaking or patchiness and little to no orange cast. However I'm not sure if I like myself better with or without it, so I guess I'm still on the fence. $53 is  lot to spend on a product that I'm not 100% in love with, so it may very well end up being returned. Quality wise though, no complaints at all!

No such thing as too many lipsticks


Actually that's not true, it's definitely possible to own too many lipsticks (especially when colors start repeating) but there's also nothing so immediately satisfying as swiping a pretty shade across your lips and making a kissy face at the mirror. Don't scoff, you know you've done it too! Browsing the Rouge G lipsticks I was really tempted by the opaque pink shades, so I ordered the color 62. It's a gorgeous rosewood pink with a texture that is creamy yet longlasting without being drying or settling into lip lines. And it fits right into my pink Rouge G mirrored lipstick case! This item will probably end up living in my makeup back (unless I discover it's a dupe of a shade I already have, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.)

Hot pink but Not On the Cheeks




Occasionally a makeup item is just not going to work out no matter how much you want it to. I added the La Petite Robe Noir Lipcheek tint to my basket because I liked the color and I like the thought of a product that can do two jobs at one. Prior experience with cheek tints has taught me that they're never as bright as they appear after you've blended them into your skin, so the hot pink color didn't put me off because I was fully prepared for it to blend out to a paler shade of pink. However, I still expected to be able to see some trace of it on my cheeks! Swatched on my arm it's visible (although a bit patchy) but on my face it just disappeared. I didn't even try it on my lips, I knew that this one was going to be returned straightaway.

Everyone Loves a Free Gift



Last but not least is the free gift! The pale pink packaging was just gorgeous- too pretty to toss but I have no idea what I'll do with it. Inside was a deluxe mini of the Meteorites Base , Cils d'Enfer So Volume mini mascara, deluxe mini KissKiss Shaping Lip Color in the shade "Sexy Coral" and a mini Meteorites brush. The entire set is quite generous, but the part I'm most excited about is the mini Meteorites brush. It's perfect for travel, and so soft and pink! 



How adorable is the brush next to my Mini Meteorites Pearls! They're like a tiny little Metorites set! So itty bitty and cute, I wish Guerlain would outright sell both of these items as a set instead of only making them available are the occasional free gift with purchase or other type of promotional item. I think they'd sell like hotcakes! Overall I'm really pleased with this little Guerlain haul even if not every item was perfect for me. I'm very glad I finally took the plunge and ordered the Les Violettes pressed powder, it's such a good feeling when something you've been thinking about for a long time turns out to be just as nice as you hoped it would be.

*** This post is not sponsored in any way. All links are included for informational purposes only and do not earn a commission.***







Comments

Popular Posts