Always Try On the Expensive Shoes

What a fabulous shoe collection!

It's been a long time (too long!) and I've missed my dear little blog! Somehow I haven't been able to get in a writing mood these past weeks. However, just because I wasn't in the mood to write definitely does not mean I haven't been in the mood to shop! With a huge backlog of things I want to talk about, there's no point in trying to remember chronological order, so I'll just start with an easy one- shoes! I've never seen the movie Confessions of a Shopaholic, but I did read the books and I remember sympathizing a lot with the main character. Just like Becky, when I'm browsing and I suddenly lay eyes on the perfect shoes/scarf/handbag/whatever, I'm suddenly transported into a fantasy of the fabulous person I could be- if I only I had that item. 


Well about 2 years ago, I was in Nordstrom and a bright pink pair of Kate Spade Carima suede loafers caught my eye. (Yes, these photos are from 2016- I can't believe I still had them saved!) I slipped them on and they felt absolutely gorgeous, perfectly fitted to my foot and so soft that I strongly suspected I would never have to worry about blisters. I could see myself walking about in comfort and style- "the girl with the hot pink shoes"... Sadly, they were also very expensive so I photographed the shoes and box but made myself walk away. Comfy as they were, $258 (plus tax!) for a pair of delicate suede loafers that could easily get marked up and would forever be vulnerable to water drops was not my idea of money well spent.

I hoped I might find them on sale someday, but I lost track of time and didn't go back to Nordstrom for months. However, the internet can be a magical place of second chances, and since then I've periodically searched "Kate Spade Carima 6" on Ebay to see if any pairs might pop up. I wasn't obsessive about it and I probably missed some pairs along the way, but this past August my search turned up a promising result! A gently worn pair of Kate Spade Carminas, in a different color but in my size and in very good condition... not to mention the price was right! For $26 and free shipping, yes, I'll take the suede shoes!


I bought them, they arrived, and they've been every bit as comfortable as I thought they would be when I first saw them in Nordstrom's shoe department. I've treated them with Apple Garde Rain & Stain Water Repellant, which is an aerosol spray that can be used on leather, suede and fabrics to protect them from water, dirt, and color fading. I've used this particular brand on my suede Uggs and it's wonderful, it doesn't change the color or texture of the suede at all (even light colors!) so I knew it would be just fine for my Kate Spades. Spraying your shoes might seem kind of *extra*, but as the old phrase goes, "A stitch in time saves nine." Or in my case, a spray of protectant when my shoes are new will keep them looking new, instead of me stressing out how to repair or restore shoes that have been ruined by an unexpected shower, damp grass, errant muddy toddler footprint, etc. As we head into the rainy and wet seasons of fall and winter, I'm really grateful for inventions like this that allow me to be carefree when wearing my favorite suede shoes (because confession, during the cold winter months I wear my warm and comfy suede Ugg boots nonstop!)

I'm really happy with the purple color I've ended up with as well, as I think it is more wearable for me than the bright pink pair that originally caught my eye. I'm so pleased with how this shoe story worked out for me!


Now let's talk about the obvious- buying shoes off Ebay can be tricky. Many times sellers will not accept returns or if they do, paying for return shipping ends up being not worth the cost. However, if you know exactly what you're looking for Ebay can be a great place for shoes. I believe retailers sell their past season unsold stock (and floor models) to liquidating companies that then sell the shoes on ebay, because often times I see brand new shoes from seasons past being listed. Colors and sizes will be limited because it depends on what was left over, but you can get lucky! People also sell their own shoes, sometimes so gently worn you can barely tell they were used at all! It's always important to study the photos really closely when buying anything on Ebay, but here are my three tips particularly for shoes.

My tips for buying shoes off ebay:
  1. If possible, try the shoe on first! Obviously it's not possible to actually try on the pair you're bidding on, but if you can find the same style and size elsewhere, try it on first. Or as in my case, try on shoes you like as you come across them, making a note of their style name and size to search Ebay for later. Sometimes the search may take a long time, but sometimes not! 
  2. Look closely at the photos- is the sole extremely dirty or the tread unevenly worn? Is the upper part of the shoe wrinkled or showing wear at the points of the shoe where it usually bends (such as around the heel, across the toes, etc)? On the inside of the shoe, is the logo printed on the inside heavily worn away/faded or still rather crisp? All of these areas are a place where heavy use inevitable shows up- if you see a pair of shoes with a sole that is relatively unmarked, the upper uncreased, and the inside stampings still sharp and clear, that probably means it wasn't worn much! I would highly suggest buying second hand shoes that are unworn or barely worn, so that 
  3. Always consider price and shipping cost before deciding if the shoes are worth buying. A $35 pair with a $15 shipping fee is a $50 pair of shoes! Depending on the brand, it may or may not be worth you money to spend that much on a used pair of shoes. In my case, $26 (with free shipping) was definitely worth spending to get $258 Kate Spade shoes, even more so if you remember that I had already tried on the same model and approved the fit. However, if they had been priced at $50 or $70, I might not have purchased them even though the discount still would've been substantial.
If you're feeling at all squeamish about wearing shoes that someone else has worn before you, I would like to point out that shoes in a shoe store get tried on by countless customers, so it's highly unlikely you'll ever purchase a 100% pristine pair that have never known any foot but yours. A disinfectant spray might make you feel better, but personally I just give the inside a good rub with a baby wipe and I've never had a problem. Happy shoe hunting!

** This post is not sponsored in any way. The Amazon links may earn me a small commission if you purchase, but there is absolutely no difference in the cost to you. **

Comments

Popular Posts