Marble-ize It!


The first thing I do when trying to get comfortable with a new thing is to make it myown- I get a case for a new phone and put a cute photo as my background, I put keychains/ribbons/scarves on my new bags, etc. Well a laptop is no different! In the past I've used stickers, fabric paint, and rhinestones to decorate the tops of my laptops, but this time I wanted to try something new. 


I still have quite a bit of the marble contact paper I used for my vanity re-do project (read all about it here!) so I decided to try making my own laptop skin with it. Laptop skins are basically just custom-cut giant stickers so I figured the contact paper would totally work, and I like how its held up on my vanity so I'm not worried about wear and tear.


To start with I measured the length and width of my laptop case, but I subtracted a few millimeters off each side because I didn't want my sticker to go all the way to the edge. I decided if I leave a border around all the edges my sticker will be less likely to curl up or get mucky over time. I didn't use a ruler or anything, I just lay the contact paper on my laptop with the paper backing side up and I used the printed grid lines on the back of the contact paper. Once I had my basic rectangle cut out (being very careful to cut the edges as straight as I could), I laid it on the laptop again (backing side up). I lined it up carefully and then traced around the hinges, again being careful to leave a little extra room all around. I cut those pieces out with little scissors, rounded off the corners a little and I was done with the sticker making, easy peasy!

Sticking the sticker on was a little harder because I was keen to avoid air bubbles. I started with the top edge of the stickers, aligning it carefully around the hinges and making sure everything was even. I worked my way down slowly, gradually unpeeling the backing and smoothing out the contact paper as I went along. I did end up a few small airbubbles because my contact paper had warped a little from how I had stored it, but overall the final result is actually quite smooth! Even the parts that had letters look fairly smooth.


For a free diy laptop makeover, I'm very pleased with my results. Someday I might want to make or buy a custom sticker for the middle, but right now I'm happy with just this simple transformation. And if I ever get tired of it or want to switch things up, peeling this contact paper is super easy and leaves no residue, so it's a worry-free project in that regard as well!

**This post is not sponsored in any way. The Amazon links may earn me a small commission if you purchase, but there is absolutely no difference in the cost to you. **

Comments

Popular Posts