Heavenly Bodies : The MET


Isn't this just the most radiant outfit you've ever seen? To pick up where I last left off, we finished up at the Cloisters right around lunchtime and (luckily) the weather had taken a turn for the rainy, which gave me the perfect excuse to change into my raincoat and comfy gold leather loafers. 




I was starving at this point, so I convinced everyone we should drop by LadurĂ©e so that I could get several of my beloved rose croissants (which I raved about in great detail here.) I'm very gratified to report that my dad tried one and he also declared it to be the best croissant he's ever tasted- it's not just me! We also got a box of macaroons, which were also met with much approval. My mom said they were just like the macaroons she had in Paris, which is pretty much as good as it gets!



Just look at that lace! And also, my awesome shoes. Seriously, I love these shoes- thank you Calvin Klein, and the awesome Marshalls store for bringing these babies into my life. They have been an absolute lifesaver pretty much ever since I bought them, as I've worn them nonstop all summer, and even when I've been on my feet all day in Bulgaria and New York, they've stayed cute and comfortable, and my feet have remained blister-free! 




Bellies full, we headed over to the MET proper to view the rest of the exhibit. It was packed with people so moving around could be a bit tricky at times, but I hardly cared as there was so much to see and admire! I did have a harder time photographing my favorite displays without catching other guests in the frame, and occasionally my photos are blurrier than I'd like because I was in a rush to move out of the way so as not to block others' view, but for all that I think my shots aren't too shabby!



Moschino

Dolce and Gabbana 

Just like at the Cloisters, the Heavenly Bodies exhibit was displayed all throughout the museum, which was very clever as it helped spread out the foot traffic to a more manageable state than the absolute crush that was the Alexander McQueen fashion exhibit a few years back (also utterly gorgeous, but concentrated in one gallery and therefore a crazy intense traffic jam of people.)

Thierry Mugler

Thierry Mugler

Christian Lacroix

Lacroix detail

Yves Saint Laurent


The Medieval sclupture hall where many of the most glorious pieces of the exhibit were displayed also had music playing, "Time Lapse" by Michael Nyman. The lighting, the church like surrounding and the music set the perfect mood for this exhibit. I really love the angelic Christian Lacroix gown with the celestial coronet/diadem, and also the fluffy ruffly Yves Saint Laurent outfit, which looks so soft! Some of the clothes on display are actually quite old and from long forgotten collections- for example the ruffly YSL dress above is a wedding ensemble from autumn/winter 1977-78! 

Alberto Capucci


Lanvin

Lots of angelic groupings in this display which was in one of the smaller side galleries. The angels with the stiff wings remind me of the iconography of medieval Christianity. Can you believe that the angel in blue is wearing a Lanvin dress from 1939?? This amazes me- clothes are utilitarian but they are also beautiful ornaments, sometimes so much so that their transcend their utility and literally become art. Even now, more than I week since I saw this exhibit in person, thinking of it still fills me with so much inspiration and appreciation. You can only imagine what I was like on the day itself!

Alexander McQueen?(I didn't document this one properly!)

Not designer, but so cool!


Chanel

Not everything on display was full outfits- here and there you could find pieces like these vests and jewels. I'm not sightly sure if they are classified as clothing or ornamentation, but they were stunning nonetheless! Around 5:30pm we had finally seen all that we could see, and we were all so tired and hungry (but happy too!) We headed over to DomoDomo sushi for dinner, where I didn't take any photos but I can absolutely vouch for the deliciousness of their sushi and handrolls, and their wonderful hopsitality.




Our last stop of the night was the insanely cool Caffe Reggio, which I don't exactly know how to describe except to say that I definitely did not feel cool enough to be there! The decor reminded me of the movie "Midnight in Paris", sort of a belle epoque artist coffee house/haven? The Wikipedia entry for this place doesn't do it justice, it's got such a fantastic texture that I could spend all day there just looking at the walls. I got myself a cannoli, which I devoured before I could remember to take a picture, but believe me that I was very tasty and well worth the calories!

And that, dear readers, was the end of our Saturday explorating the Heavenly Bodies exhibit! In my next post I'll share the other random beautiful things I photographed at the MET when I wasn't paying attention to the clothes, and as well as what I ended up picking up from the gift shop, so stay tuned!

Comments

Popular Posts